Senior Project Manager
Scout Clean Energy LLC is a developer/owner/operator of utility scale wind projects throughout the USA. Scout owns over 800 MW of operating capacity and is developing over 2,000 MW of wind projects in 11 states representing the potential for up to $1.6 billion in capital investments over the next 5 years. Based in Boulder, Colorado, Scout is a portfolio company of Quinbrook Infrastructure Partners a specialist private equity infrastructure investment company.
Scout Clean Energy is seeking a senior project manager to join the construction group to manage wind energy construction projects including providing pre-construction support to development, conducting the contractor selection process, managing the construction process, and overseeing the EPC contractor, turbine supplier, owner’s engineers, and on site owner’s representatives.
During the pre-construction phase of a project:
- PM will support the project development team for site selection, constructability reviews, interconnection options, and review of construction documents.
- Attend landowner meetings and conduct site visits.
- Conduct competitive RFPs for selection of general contractors or subcontractors
- Support permitting efforts
- Provide BOP cost estimates
- Develop schedules using Microsoft Project
- Attend site visits and provide micrositing support
- Provide input on commercial aspects of the BOP EPC contract
- Contract and manage pre-construction activities including preliminary engineering and geotechnical studies.
During project construction:
- PM will manage the third party on site team of quality control professionals representing the owner, including the site manager, and the electrical, turbine, and civil specialists.
- Manage the various construction contracts and interface with the turbine supplier, BOP contractor, owner’s engineers, and independent engineers.
- Attend weekly meetings with the BOP contractor and host internal update meetings with the development and financing teams.
- Provide weekly reports on construction status, schedule, and cost controls.
- Interface with the interconnecting and local utilities to ensure compliance with the GIA requirements.
- Provide guidance and support during all commissioning, start-up testing, and third-party inspections.
- Manage and approve invoices and costs incurred under all project contracts.
- Oversee the review and approval process of engineering designs.
- Review and provide recommendations to the owner on change orders.
- Assist in the resolution of design issues and contract enforcement.
- Attend monthly meetings at the project site.
- Coordinate final service acceptance inspections, punch list close out, and transition the project to Operations and Maintenance (O&M).
- Conduct Lessons Learned meeting and provide report to the construction group at the conclusion of the project.
- Manage the receipt and inspection of equipment and materials.
- Responsible for reviewing and maintaining project records.
- Manage questions with the independent engineers throughout construction and close out any open items to support the project reaching on time financial closure.
- Plans, directs and coordinates activities at the project site, including general contractor, OEM subcontractors, vendors, and related work for large wind projects.
- Provide input to BOP EPC contract negotiations and develop contract exhibits for BOP contracts.
- Works with Development, Finance and Operations.
- Coordinate with contractors and manage RFPs for construction services.
- Manages scheduling, change orders and cost control of project within the approved budget.
- Communicates effectively and professionally.
- Prioritizes work in order to meet project goals including deadlines, cost targets and project schedules.
- Represent the organization professionally.
Qualifications & Critical Skills
- Must have a bachelor’s degree. Degree in construction management or engineering is preferred, or PMP certification.
- Minimum 8 years’ experience as project manager or progressing positions in wind construction.
- Solar construction management experience, in addition to wind construction management experience, is preferred. Battery storage construction management experience is a plus, but not required.
- Experience with providing pre-construction estimates based on industry knowledge.
- Demonstrated understanding of plans and specifications for civil and electrical work.
- Experience with developing contract exhibits for BOP contracts.
- Familiarity with managing wind energy construction and turbine supply contracts.
- Experienced with creating and managing schedules using MS Project.
- Adept at the use of Google Earth, GIS software for creating project layouts. Understanding of ArcGIS a plus.
- Strong communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills, and problem-solving techniques.
- Proficient with computers and possesses working knowledge of MS Office, MS Project, and document management systems; e.g. Microsoft SharePoint, Dropbox, etc.
- Working knowledge of OSHA requirements. OSHA 10 certification preferred.
- Comfortable with fast paced, rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to solve problems and make informed decisions quickly.
- Attentive to details and efficient.
- Must have a valid current driver license.
- Ability to work outside of a Monday through Friday schedule, including holidays and weekends, at times when needed by the project.
- Position is based in Boulder, Colorado. Must be willing to relocate.
- This position requires 25-40% travel to remote farm project sites.
- Must be willing to occasionally work in demanding physical and inclement weather conditions.
- Ability to occasionally climb wind turbines and work in height is preferred.
- Strong attention to detail and execution excellence.
- Good interpersonal and customer relation skills.
- Work cooperatively or independently and inspires a team effort with all tasks. Communicate pro-actively.