Senior Project Manager
Scout Clean Energy is seeking a senior project manager to join the construction group to manage wind energy construction projects including providing pre-construction support to development, conducting the contractor selection process, managing the construction process, and overseeing the EPC contractor, turbine supplier, owner’s engineers, and on site owner’s representatives.
During the pre-construction phase of a project:
- PM will support the project development team for site selection, constructability reviews, interconnection options, and review of construction documents.
- Attend landowner meetings and conduct site visits.
- Conduct competitive RFPs for selection of general contractors or subcontractors
- Support permitting efforts
- Provide BOP cost estimates
- Develop schedules using Microsoft Project
- Attend site visits and provide micrositing support
- Provide input on commercial aspects of the BOP EPC contract
- Contract and manage pre-construction activities including preliminary engineering and geotechnical studies.
During project construction:
- PM will manage the third party on site team of quality control professionals representing the owner, including the site manager, and the electrical, turbine, and civil specialists.
- Manage the various construction contracts and interface with the turbine supplier, BOP contractor, owner’s engineers, and independent engineers.
- Attend weekly meetings with the BOP contractor and host internal update meetings with the development and financing teams.
- Provide weekly reports on construction status, schedule, and cost controls.
- Interface with the interconnecting and local utilities to ensure compliance with the GIA requirements.
- Provide guidance and support during all commissioning, start-up testing, and third-party inspections.
- Manage and approve invoices and costs incurred under all project contracts.
- Oversee the review and approval process of engineering designs.
- Review and provide recommendations to the owner on change orders.
- Assist in the resolution of design issues and contract enforcement.
- Attend monthly meetings at the project site.
- Coordinate final service acceptance inspections, punch list close out, and transition the project to Operations and Maintenance (O&M).
- Conduct Lessons Learned meeting and provide report to the construction group at the conclusion of the project.
- Manage the receipt and inspection of equipment and materials.
- Responsible for reviewing and maintaining project records.
- Manage questions with the independent engineers throughout construction and close out any open items to support the project reaching on time financial closure.
- Plans, directs and coordinates activities at the project site, including general contractor, OEM subcontractors, vendors, and related work for large wind projects.
- Provide input to BOP EPC contract negotiations and develop contract exhibits for BOP contracts.
- Works with Development, Finance and Operations.
- Coordinate with contractors and manage RFPs for construction services.
- Manages scheduling, change orders and cost control of project within the approved budget.
- Communicates effectively and professionally.
- Prioritizes work in order to meet project goals including deadlines, cost targets and project schedules.
- Represent the organization professionally.
Qualifications & Critical Skills
- Must have a bachelor’s degree. Degree in construction management or engineering is preferred, or PMP certification.
- Minimum 8 years’ experience as project manager or progressing positions in wind construction.
- Solar construction management experience, in addition to wind construction management experience, is preferred. Battery storage construction management experience is a plus, but not required.
- Experience with providing pre-construction estimates based on industry knowledge.
- Demonstrated understanding of plans and specifications for civil and electrical work.
- Experience with developing contract exhibits for BOP contracts.
- Familiarity with managing wind energy construction and turbine supply contracts.
- Experienced with creating and managing schedules using MS Project.
- Adept at the use of Google Earth, GIS software for creating project layouts. Understanding of ArcGIS a plus.
- Strong communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills, and problem-solving techniques.
- Proficient with computers and possesses working knowledge of MS Office, MS Project, and document management systems; e.g. Microsoft SharePoint, Dropbox, etc.
- Working knowledge of OSHA requirements. OSHA 10 certification preferred.
- Comfortable with fast paced, rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to solve problems and make informed decisions quickly.
- Attentive to details and efficient.
- Must have a valid current driver license.
- Ability to work outside of a Monday through Friday schedule, including holidays and weekends, at times when needed by the project.
- Position is based in Boulder, Colorado. Must be willing to relocate.
- This position requires 25-40% travel to remote farm project sites.
- Must be willing to occasionally work in demanding physical and inclement weather conditions.
- Ability to occasionally climb wind turbines and work in height is preferred.
- Strong attention to detail and execution excellence.
- Good interpersonal and customer relation skills.
- Work cooperatively or independently and inspires a team effort with all tasks. Communicate pro-actively.